Mohamed A. Helal, Ph.D
Drug Design and Development
Biomedical Sciences Program
Associate Professor of Drug Design and Development
Champion of the Biomedical Sciences Program for Accreditation
Education: Doctor of Philosophy degree in Medicinal Chemistry from the University of Mississippi, USA in 2010.
Fulbright Fellow, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA, 2018
Research Areas: Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Design, Molecular Modeling, Organic Chemistry, Computational Chemistry.
Research Interests: Organic Synthesis, MD simulation, Discovery of GPCRs ligands, CNS drugs, Development of Kinase Inhibitors.
Keywords: Drug Design, GPCR, Kinase, CNS, Synthesis, Molecular Modeling, Docking, MD simulation.
1) Mohamed A. Helal, Amar G. Chittiboyina, and Mitchell A. Avery. New insights into the binding mode of melanin concentrating hormone receptor-1 antagonists: homology modeling and explicit membrane molecular dynamics simulation study. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 2011, 51 (3), pp 635–646.
2) Mohamed A. Helal, Sherief Khalifa, and Safwat Ahmed. Differential Binding of Latrunculins to G-Actin: A Molecular Dynamics Study. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 2013, 53 (9), Pages 2369–2375.
3) Hosam Elshihawy, Mohamed A. Helal, Mohamed Said, Mohamed Hamad. Design, synthesis, and enzyme kinetics of novel benzimidazole and quinoxaline derivatives as methionine synthase inhibitors. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 2014, 22 (1), Pages 550-558.
4) Khalid M. Darwish, Ismail Salama, Samia M. Mostafa, Mohamed S. Gomaa, and Mohamed A. Helal. Design, Synthesis, and Biological Evaluation of Novel Thiazolidinediones as PPARγ/FFAR1 Dual Agonists. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2016, 109, 157-172.
5) Nagat Ghareb, Mohamed A. Helal. Novel Pyrazoles and Pyrazolopyridazines as Selective COX-2 Inhibitors; Ultrasound-assisted Synthesis, Biological Evaluation, and DFT Calculations. Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2017, 27(11), 2377-2383.
1) Design and synthesis of novel antidiabetic agents with dual mode of action, STDF,2012.
2) Design and synthesis of PDE4 inhibitors for the treatment of COPD and certain cancers, STDF, 2014.
3) Design and synthesis of novel kappa opioid receptor ligands for the treatment of addiction, Co-PI, NAS (USA)-STDF, 2018.
4) Novel mTOR Inhibitors for Targeting Cancer and Autism Spectrum Disorder, One Bioactive Molecule and Two Diseases, ASRT, 2020.
1) Noble-Sams Graduate Achievement Award, University of Mississippi, USA, 2009.
2) Fulbright Fellow, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA, 2018
3) Misr El-Kheir Publication Award for the Best Published Life Sciences Research by Egyptian scientists, 2011