Ayman El-Shibiny, Ph.D
Professor of Biomedical Sciences
Director General for Research
Director of Center for Microbiology and
Phage Therapy and Center of Scientific
Excellence for Food Research and Analysis
Acting Director of Center for Genomics
Vice Director of Accreditation.
Education: Doctor of Philosophy degree in Microbiology from University of Nottingham, UK in 2006
Research Areas: Bacteriophage Therapy, Microbiology, Infectious Diseases, Food Safety, and Biosensors.
Research Interests: Bacteriophage Therapy, Medical Microbiology, Food Microbiology, Infectious Diseases, Microbiome, Food Safety, Biocontrol, Antibiotic resistance, and Biosensors.
Keywords: Phage Therapy, Pathogenic Bacteria, Antibiotics Resistance, Food Safety.
1) Ahmed Mohamed, Omar Taha, Hesham M. El-Sherif, Phillippa L. Connerton, Steven P.T. Hooton, Nabil D. Bassim, Ian F. Connerton, and Ayman El-Shibiny (2020). Bacteriophage ZCSE2 is a potent antimicrobial against Salmonella enterica serovars: ultrastructure, genomics and efficacy. Viruses 2020, 12, 424; doi:10.3390/v12040424.
2) Mohamed Elhadidy, Mohamed Medhat Ali, Ayman El-Shibiny, William G. Miller, Walid F. Elkhatib, Nadine Botteldoorn, Katelijne Dierick (2020). Antimicrobial resistance patterns and molecular resistance markers of Campylobacter jejuni isolates from human diarrheal cases. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0227833.
3) Kamel S. Sultan, Tamer A. Ali, Nada A. Fahmy, Ayman El-Shibiny (2019). Using millimeter-waves for rapid detection of pathogenic bacteria in food based on bacteriophage. Engineering Reports. 2019;e12026. https://doi.org/10.1002/eng2.12026.
4) Abdallah S. Abdelsattar, Fatma Abdelrahman, Alyaa Dawoud, Ian F. Connerton and Ayman El-Shibiny (2019). Encapsulation of E. coli phage ZCEC5 in chitosan-alginate beads as a delivery system in phage therapy. AMB Express. 17;9(1):87. doi: 10.1186/s13568-019-0810-9.
1) Principle Investigator (PI) of Phase iii: Applications & Products Development, Academy for Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT-Egypt) Fund (Zewail City, May 2020 – April 2022). The development of new therapeutic products and delivery system for phage therapy applications in veterinary.
2) Principle Investigator (PI) of Center of Scientific Excellence for Food Research and Analysis (STDF-Egypt) Fund (Zewail City, May 2020 – April 2023).
3) Principle Investigator (PI) of India-Egypt project, Academy for Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT-Egypt) Fund (Zewail City, February 2020 – January 2022). Molecular dissection of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa phage endolysin: a step toward the next generation therapeutics.
4) Principle Investigator (PI) of IMHOTEP project, Academy for Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT-Egypt) Fund (Zewail City, December 2017 – December 2019).
5) Principle Investigator (PI) of “MM-wave biosensing-based detection of Food-borne and Pathogenic Bacteria in Food industry using Bacteriophage” project funded by STDF, Egypt for 2 years (Zewail City, April 2015 – June 2017).
6) Principle Investigator (PI) of “From research labs to marketing practice: Bacteriophage as antimicrobial for the treatment of antibiotic resistant bacteria” project, STDF_IG.
7) Senior collaborator of BBSRC research project titled “Bacteriophage targeting antibiotic resistant bacteria” (Zewail City, 1-10 to 31-12-2016).
1) Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window (EMECW) award, 2009.
2) Society for Applied Microbiology award, 2007.
3) Society for General Microbiology award, 2005.