Dr.Salah Obayya Elected as a Fellow of the African Academy of Sciences (The AAS)
This election was based on a series of reviews conducted at various levels. The AAS Fellowship recruitment follows a rigorous evaluation by the AAS Membership Advisory Committees (MACs) in various fields of specialization. The penultimate step prior to the decision by the Governing Council was the voting by Fellows of the Academy, which took place last month. The recommendations of the MACs and the votes by the Fellows were compiled and submitted to the AAS Governing Council for review and final endorsement.
The fellowship comes in recognition of Obayya’s scientific contributions in the area photonics and smart materials. Dr. Obayya has received the following recognitions:
- Honorary Distinguished Professor in Photonics, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,University of Nottingham, UK, June 2017.
- Elected Senior Member of Optical Society of America (OSA), May 2017.
- Elected Senior Associate of International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy, and May 2017.
- Elected Fellow of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (FIET), UK, and March 2010. - Elected Fellow of the Institute of Physics (FInstP), UK, and May 2010.
- Senior Member of the institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), USA, Sept. 2005.
- Member of the Wales Institute of Mathematical and Computational Sciences (WIMCS) (Computational Modelling Cluster), UK, Sept. 2006.
- Member of the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), USA, Jan 2010.
- Fellow of Higher Academy of Education, UK, Oct. 2005.
- Khlaifa Award for Distinguished Professor in Scientific Research, United Arab Emirates, April 2017. Only one award is granted annually for one Arab Scholar in all fields of Science and Engineering.
- Member of The Board of Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, Decree from Egypt’s Prime Minister in Feb. 2016. The Board oversees all research programs in Egyptian Institutions.
- Doctor of Science (DSc) from City University of London for International Distinction in Photonics, Jan. 2016.
- Arab Thought Foundation (Lebanon) Award in Scientific Creativity, Dec. 2015. Only one award in all fields of Science and Engineering is granted each year for one Arab Scientist.
- Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT) Award in Engineering Sciences Creativity, Sept. 2014. Only one award is granted each year for an Egyptian Scientist in Engineering Sciences.
- Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation (Jordan) Award for Arab Scientists in Engineering Sciences, Oct. 2014. Only one award is granted each year for one Arab Scientists in Engineering Sciences.
- State Award of Excellence for Engineering Sciences from the Egyptian Government for the year 2012/2013. Only one scientists have been awarded this prestigious award for the year 2012/2013.
- Incentive State Award for Engineering Sciences from the Egyptian Government for the year 2005/2006. Only six scientists have been awarded this prestigious award for the year 2005/2006.
- Award of the best PhD thesis prize from Mansoura University for the years 1999/2000. - Award of the first-ranked BEng Electronic Engineering-student prize from Mansoura University, Egypt in 1991.
- Award of the first-ranked student on the Mathematical Sciences branch of the General Secondary School in Sherbeen, Egypt, in 1986. - Member of the Egyptian Engineers Society.